[squid-users] squid + privoxy = Unable to forward request

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Wed Apr 29 16:24:38 UTC 2015

I am migrating a previous installation to new hardware and updated versions.

I use squid + privoxy, with privoxy being the parent.

Privoxy listens on port 8118 and squid on 3128 on the same hardware.

Each proxy works fine on its own.  I can test them individually and both
proxy correctly.

However, when I add the cache_peer directive, I get the "Unable to
forward request" from squid.

I have tried this with both localhost (127.0.0.1) and the eth address
192.168.5.1.  Both result in the same error.

I have disabled the firewall for testing and tried to set up the ACLs to
allow everyone from everywhere, and still the error persists.  The logs
show no errors.  The squid logs show the request being received, but the
privoxy logs don't show any requests hitting it from the squid proxy.

squid.conf:

visible_hostname ap1.seiner.com
cache_effective_user nobody
cache_effective_group nogroup
cache_dir ufs /cache 4096 16 256

cache_peer '127.0.0.1 parent 8118 0 no-query no-digest'
never_direct allow all

acl localnet src 10.0.0.0/8
acl localnet src 172.16.0.0/12
acl localnet src 192.168.0.0/16
acl localnet src fc00::/7
acl localnet src fe80::/10

acl ssl_ports port 443

acl safe_ports port 80
acl safe_ports port 21
acl safe_ports port 443
acl safe_ports port 70
acl safe_ports port 210
acl safe_ports port 1025-65535
acl safe_ports port 280
acl safe_ports port 488
acl safe_ports port 591
acl safe_ports port 777
acl connect method connect

http_access deny !safe_ports
http_access deny connect !ssl_ports

http_access allow localhost manager
http_access deny manager

http_access deny to_localhost

http_access allow localnet
http_access allow localhost

http_access deny all

refresh_pattern ^ftp: 1440 20% 10080
refresh_pattern ^gopher: 1440 0% 1440
refresh_pattern -i (/cgi-bin/|\?) 0 0% 0
refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320

debug_options ALL,1
access_log stdio:/var/log/squid.access.log
cache_log stdio:/var/log/squid.cache.log
cache_store_log /dev/null
logfile_rotate 0

logfile_daemon /dev/null
http_port 3128