[squid-users] Happy Eyeballs and "connect_timeout" in squid 3.4.12

Tom Tom tomtux007 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 07:38:36 UTC 2015

Hi

I'm running squid (3.4.12) on a IPv6/IPv4-dual-stack system.

While accessing the test-site "http://test.rx.td.h.labs.apnic.net", I
encountered a 60s connection-timeout (configurable with
connect_timeout) while squid is making 5 IPv6-connection-attempts
(SYN), before it tries to connect with IPv4 (which is working on the
test-site). I can decrease the "connect_timeout"-value to 1 second.
This behaves in a better "surf"-experience and results in a 1s-timeout
(also only 1 IPv6-SYN) instead of the default 60s timeout.

Why does squid not tries to connect first IPv6 (based on the host's
address preference-policy) and then - in case of a failure - switch to
IPv4 during a 300ms timeout (like current Browsers are doing)?

Can I enforce a "browser behaviour" (300ms) for squid?

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Tom