[squid-users] Invalid entries

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sat Apr 25 01:56:20 UTC 2015

On 25/04/2015 11:54 a.m., Hussam Al-Tayeb wrote:
> On occasions, when restarting squid after very long uptime, cache.log
> says "1 invalid entries". I know for sure that squid was not shut
> down incorrectly since the last session closed correctly "Squid Cache
> (Version 3.5.3): Exiting normally." They usually disappear very
> quickly when squid swaps a file to disk in the same slot as the
> invalid object on disk so it's not always an issue. But nevertheless
> what is the cause of those invalid entries? Thank you.

Could be several things:
* checksums within the disk object dont match the current file checksum.
* cache journal entry does not match the object found on disk at the
journal indicated location
* cache journal entry does not match its own checksum
* cache journal indicates an object exists but file on disk was
erased/missing
* disk file was not completely written out during the last shutdown
(regardless of last shutdown success/fail).