[squid-users] Tracking user connection times

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Mon Apr 20 14:45:40 UTC 2015

On 20/04/15 15:34, Dan Berry wrote:

> I have setup a squid proxy as a POC for user tracking. I am looking
> for a way to track for close events, most of the customer sites that
> are accessed are HTTPS so I can’t track activity. I might be able to
> get by with tracking total connect time, so I know the windows of time
> users were connected to a specific site. Is this possible?
>
> Dan Berry
>
> Data Network Engineer

I doubt it unless you are in control of the sites the users are
visiting. When a page is loaded, the browser instructs the OS to open a
TCP connection to download the page. When all the data has been
downloaded, the TCP connection becomes idle and after a short time the
OS will close it.

If the sites are yours I suppose you could add some JS that would get
the browser to repeatedly make a request to the site with a
page-specific ID so you could track how long they were on that page.

Cheers

Alex

--
This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain
confidential information. Unless you are that person, you may not