[squid-users] Server FQDN for each request

Roman Suvorov windj007 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 09:58:58 UTC 2015

Dear colleagues,

Is the setup as following possible?

A server 99.99.99.99 hosts a single Squid with ICAP plugged in. There
two DNS records point to this server:
first.example.com -> 99.99.99.99
second.example.com -> 99.99.99.99

If I put first.example.com in browser proxy settings for the first
group of users and second.example.com for the second group, can I
somehow distinguish requests from these two groups of users without
using explicit login-password authentication? Browsers are configured
explicitly (the proxy is not transparent). There are supposed to be
many such groups of users, thus setting up many Squid instances or
using different TCP ports is not appropriate.

I'm looking for a way to identify users without explicit
authentication, maybe there are some other ways?

Best regards,
Roman.