[squid-users] Transparent Proxy

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Apr 8 09:51:49 UTC 2015

On 8/04/2015 9:20 p.m., Jaydeep Kubavat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've configured a transparent squid proxy on a centos 6.6 with single NIC.
>
> There is Cisco ISG in between with L4 redirection on www traffic.
>
> The requests are coming on port 80 from client and ISG forwards that to
> port 80 on my squid server.

No, no it does not.

If you configured the remote router coorrectly:

It passes the packet to your Squid box for handling. The packet still
says port 80 *on some other server*.

Once the TCP SYN packet reaches the Squid box ...

> So there is no iptables configured on squid server.

... nothing happens to it. "Dropped on the floor.", etc.

If you configured the router badly:
 ... many varied things (all nasty) could happen.

Please have a read through:
<http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/InterceptionProxy>
in particular the sections:
* "Concepts of Interception Caching"
* "Requirements and methods for Interception Caching"
* "Getting your traffic to the right port on your Squid Cache"

<snip>

> my squid is configured default, only
>
> http_port 3130

Port 3130 is generally used for ICP (which is a UDP based protocol)

> http_port 80 intercept

This has no use other than to potentially prevent your Squid being able
to open the listening port (unless the worker has root privileges - not
good).

Any port will do and a randomly selected port number higher than 1024 is
better. Only Squid and the machines TCP stack systems will have anything
to do with it - not the packets nor any external system.