[squid-users] Large rock supporting with stable squid version

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Oct 28 00:53:13 UTC 2014

On 25/10/2014 2:09 a.m., Ahmed Allzaeem wrote:
> Hi
>
> I want to ask about Large rock supporting.
>
> In large rock supporting wts the max size for disk store ? and max
> size of ram store?

The disk store limit depends on HDD/SSD space available. That goes for
all cache_dir types.

What do you mean by "ram store" ?

 IIRC, rock storage does away with the split memory/disk "slices"
which were used in COSS. So there is no tricky management of how many
slices are in memory and swapping in/out.

 Squid has a RAM store (cache_mem) which is not particularly related
to Rock storage. You need to tune that cache_mem size around how much
RAM is used for all cache_dir existing, and active transaction needs.
Nobody can tell you the answer since the administrative "test,
measure, tune" process is the only way to find it.

> I need someone tried large rock with squid 3.head version and have
> seen a stability , I used last time squid3.head but it hanged after
> sometime

Details required. "hangs after some time" and "it" are very vague.

> I need  a help with a squid large rock  best practice.

The feature is still in beta. As an early adopter you are one of the
people whose feedback will define what the best practice in future
will be.

Despite being *capable* of large object storage rock is optimal for
small objects. UFS/AUFS/diskd cache types are optimal for large
objects - except no SMP sharing there yet which is just annoying.

For now the regular best practice for cache_dir in general applies. To
ensure you have enough RAM for cache index (10-15MB er GB of cached
data) not to cause memory swapping, to ensure you do not exceded
available disk space, etc. etc.

Amos