[squid-users] how to obtain info about actual active downloads?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Mon Oct 27 13:47:00 UTC 2014

On Monday 27 October 2014 at 14:32:39 (EU time), Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:

> Please, what is best way for determining who squid clients (their
> PC IP addresses) have which downloads active?
> I want it to determine which clients burden our slow internet line.
> Examining 'access.log' does not help much in this case, because users
> can download large files and it may take a few minutes or hours (e.g.
> in case of consuming some audio/video streams).

I would use the tool 'iptraf', either running on your squid server, or on a
machine which can sniff your internal network traffic (possibly with the use of a
spanning port on the switch).

That can give you real-time bandwidth measurements per IP address.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Anything that improbable is effectively impossible.

 - Murray Gell-Mann, Nobel Prizewinner in Physics

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.