[squid-users] infinite loop on using SSL to connect to squid with ssl-bump

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Mon Oct 20 23:24:28 UTC 2014

On 10/20/2014 04:22 PM, Jason Haar wrote:

> Both Chrome and Firefox support talking to proxies using SSL (wpad type
> "HTTPS" instead of "PROXY").

I did not know that support was added to major browsers. Any pointers to
the relevant configuration knobs? Can it be configured without WPAD?

> I'm trying to test that out against my
> ssl-bump enabled squid proxy and it's causing an infinite loop
>
> Basically if I do something like
>
> (sleep 2;echo -ne "GET http://slashdot.org/ HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n"; sleep
> 4)|openssl  s_client -connect localhost:3129
>
> against a squid-3.4.8 proxy set up with
>
> https_port 3129 ssl-bump intercept

You are connecting directly to an interception port. I do not think that
is allowed. Interception assumes the client connection was intended for
a non-Squid address. When you break that assumption, you may get a loop.

If you remove SslBump and intercept options from https_port, then Squid
should be able to accept and decode the SSL connection, and receive a
plain GET request inside it.

Please note that I am not sure Squid can currently *bump* CONNECT
requests directed at https_port inside an SSL connection. It is
technically possible, but I am not sure we have the code to actually do
that. I suspect Squid may assume that there is at most one SSL wrapper
for a connection. Supporting multiple SSL layers while bumping the inner
CONNECT may need testing and possibly development.

HTH.

Alex.