[squid-users] DEAD Parent detection

daniel.rieken at gmx.net daniel.rieken at gmx.net
Thu Oct 16 14:35:04 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

I got a problem with DEAD Parent detection.
I've configured 2 parents in squid.conf:

cache_peer 10.0.0.101 parent 3128 0 default name=TEST1
cache_peer 10.0.0.102 parent 3128 0 name=TEST2

So when the first parent isn't reachable, squid detects this (Detected DEAD Parent: TEST1) and is using the second parent.
This works fine for HTTP-Traffic. But for HTTPS-Traffic the DEAD Parent detection doesn't work. Squid is trying to send all requests to the first parent and is not switching to the second one.

What am I doing wrong? is there anything I missed? Or is it a bug?
I'm using  squid 3.1 (Debian wheezy)

Thanks for your help,
Daniel