[squid-users] Best way to deny access to URLs in Squid 3.3.x?

Mike mcsnv96 at afo.net
Tue Oct 14 19:03:32 UTC 2014

On 10/14/2014 12:37 PM, Mirza Dedic wrote:
> Just curious, what are some of you doing in your Squid environment as
> far as URL filtering goes? It seems there are a few options out
> there.. squidguard... dansguardian.. plain block lists.
>
> What is the best practice to implement some sort of block list into
> squid? I've found urlblacklist.com that has a pretty good broken down
> URL block list by category, what would be the best way to go.. use
> dansguardian with this list or set it up in squid.conf as an "acl
> dstdomain" and feed in the block list file without calling an external
> helper application?
>
> Thanks.

We have used dansguardian before, but there is a newer updated "fork" by
some of the original crew called "e2guardian" that can also handle some
SSL urls via blacklisting (as long as squid is also setup with ssl-bump
in 3.4.x).
Otherwise within squid itself, the dstdomain and regex_dstdomain acls
are an option, but that does not provide much for filtering content of
the websites themselves.

Mike