[squid-users] 501 error within a webpage

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Oct 10 15:15:54 UTC 2014

On 10/10/2014 10:56 p.m., Haza1981 wrote:
> We are having issues with users using a webpage they require
> (ondemand.bond.co.uk). They can log in and see most of what they
> use but certain sections of the page just say error 501.
>
> I have checked the access log and see the following information in
> some lines.
>
> TCP_MISS/501 295 DELETE (website and user
> info)HIER_DIRECT/212.87.94.182 text/html

The web server 212.87.94.182 does not support users DELETE/erase for
content at that URL.

status code 501 "Not Implemented":
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7231#section-6.6.2

... and the DELETE metods which is being rejected:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7231#section-4.3.5

> Is this related and how can I get around this?

Stop trying to delete things on public website?

Seriously though, I agree those DELETE+501 records in Squid access log
is probably the record of how the 501 appeared to the users. What
started it though will be something in the client browser or some
script in the page itself. Squid is just relaying the messages between
client browser and web server.

Squid is not part of the problem, but is one of the tools you can use
to get information about the transaction to find out wher ethe problem
actually is.

If you have a recent Squid build, you can set debug_options 11,2 and
get a full traffic trace.
Other alternatives are "tcpdump -s 65535" traces, or the browser
development tools if you can replicate it yourself.

> Thanks
>
> Also another issue I have is that on this website
> http://www.uksuds.com/surfacewaterstorage_js.htm it should show a
> map on the front page but does not. Can anyone help with this one?
> If I specify a different proxy it pulls the map down and will then
> work with squid until I clear cache and cookies.

Theres not enough details in that description to answer. Using the
same methods/tools as mentioned above you can find out whats going on
there too.

Amos