[squid-users] Squid 2.7 STABLE8 (Win2008) can't get my MS Lync 2013 to work?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Oct 8 06:35:25 UTC 2014

On 8/10/2014 12:17 p.m., Mirza Dedic wrote:
> Hi Eliezer,
>
> After I commented out the SquidGuard part of the config and
> restarted squid I restart my Lync 2013 client and it connects
> without a proxy prompt, in the log I still see the " 1412723608.354
> 485 172.16.12.110 TCP_MISS/200 11695 CONNECT
> login.microsoftonline.com:443 - DIRECT/65.52.244.66 -" but no
> proxy on the client's side.
>
> So, something in SquidGuard must be causing this??

Yes several things. Basically SG does not contain all of the hacks and
disablings necessary to cope with demands NTLM places on HTTP proxies.
Which is reasonable since its design goal is to filter HTTP traffic.

> I did not want to uncomment the NTLM because we use this to provide
> seamless authentication for the clients, if we only allow basic it
> will prompt for user/pass won't it?
>
> We use SquidGuard as it has a pre-defined list of blocked sites, so
> it was a quick way to add a set of blocked sites.. but this whole
> setup is old I don't even know where the win32 binaries came from
> for squidguard..

In which case there should be no need for you to have SG at all.

The popular blocklist/blacklist sources for SG also provide Squid
format downloads of the same lists, or converters are easily written.
https://www.google.com/search?q=squid+blacklist

> You mentioned a 3.x being developed for Windows, is this internal
> only or somewhere I can follow the progress?

I am the one driving that effort at present. It is a side hobby on my
overall goal of feature parity between Squid-2 and Squid-3 - keeping
Squid building and running on any OS Squid-2 was useful for.

The official state of Squid on Windows is documented in here:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/Windows
the newest bits are down under "Porting Efforts" for now.

Changes as they are found are being applied directly on the mainstream
3.HEAD version. So the regular 3.HEAD ChangeLog and bugzilla are used
to track minor changes and issues.

127". yay!. Any assistance figuring out what I have done wrong to get
that is welcome. So far I think its a missing DLL or wrong .exe
settings going into the compiler.

Visual Studio 2012 builds are also ongoing, but will not be available
until the Foundation provides an upstream git repository (being planned).

Personal donations welcome (<http://treenet.co.nz/projects/squid/>),
but due to the above error 127 I am disinclined to accept contracts
with anything like a deadline.

Amos