[squid-users] ntlmssp: bad ascii: ffffffab (Lan Manager auth broken?)

Victor Sudakov sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru
Tue Oct 7 04:16:59 UTC 2014

Amos Jeffries wrote:

> >> Thats the price of NTLM.
> >
> > This price is too high for my objectives.

> >> The Squid "ntlm_auth" helper (now ntlm_smb_lm_auth) does not,
> >> and never has, performed NTLM in any way.
> >>
> >> What it does is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LM_hash.
> >
> > I am perfectly aware of that. The problem is that this LM
> > authentication did work with the squid27 ntlm_auth helper and does
> > not work with the squid34 newer ntlm_smb_lm_auth helper. There was
> > no need to break what was working.
>
> SMB LM supports both ASCII and UNICODE. Each packet is explicitly
> flagged as one or other. Apparently your client software wants to
> authenticate using a character 171 out of an array of length 127.

Apparently so, but as I said, the very same client software does work
with the old "ntlm_auth" helper and does not work with the new
ntlm_smb_lm_auth one.

That's why I am saying that the problem is on the authenticator side
and not on the client side.

> >> The *Basic* authentication provided in HTTP is actually a
> >> superior form of authentication. If you convert your proxy to
> >> requesting Basic auth you will find your
> >
> > I am afraid you are mistaken. If I convert my proxy to Basic, it
> > will start asking users for their login/password for proxy access,
> > instead of authenticating them transparently with their Windows
> > credentials.
>
> That is a limitation of your software. Basic itself is superior to SMB
> LM.

I am not so sure about it. In Basic, you just base64 decode the
relevant HTTP header to obtain a plain text password. In LM,
it is a bit more difficult.

> You are just given no access to use it for SSO by the tools
> currently in use.

All right, what tools are there for proxy SSO with Windows
credentials? Please specify.

[dd]

I will reply to the rest of the mail after I experiment if disabling
LM actutlly does enable Negotiate/Kerberos.

- --
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru