[squid-users] ntlmssp: bad ascii: ffffffab (Lan Manager auth broken?)

Victor Sudakov sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru
Mon Oct 6 08:24:52 UTC 2014

Colleagues,

The NTLM (LM) plugin in squid27 worked perfectly while the NTLM plugin in
squid34 is obviously broken.

I am attaching two log files, one of the old plugin and the other of
the new one. Could someone please have a look at bad-ntlm.log to see
why ntlm_smb_lm_auth does not work any more after upgrading to 34?

What does this failure

ntlmssp: bad ascii: ffffffab
No auth at all. Returning no-auth
ntlm_smb_lm_auth.cc(531): pid=16346 :sending 'NA Logon Failure' to squid

actually mean?

I know that LM is bad and insecure, but I cannot give it up for the
present in the production environment until I make Kerberos
(negotiate) work.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru