[squid-users] leaking memory in squid 3.4.8 and 3.4.7.

Steve Hill steve at opendium.com
Wed Oct 1 12:02:58 UTC 2014

On 29.09.14 10:04, Steve Hill wrote:

> I _think_ I have narrowed it down to something ICAP related

Looks like I was wrong - it actually seems to be external ACL related.

I have an external ACL defined as:
external_acl_type preauth cache=0 children-max=1 concurrency=100 ttl=0
negative_ttl=0 %SRC %>{User-Agent} %URI %METHOD /usr/sbin/squid-preauth

The inclusion of %URI means that it's going to be called a lot, even
with caching, but in this case I've turned caching off.  As far as I can
see in the code, if cache=0 or (ttl=0 and negative_ttl=0), it doesn't
touch the cache at all so my guess is that this isn't a problem with the
caching code.

I'm testing this with Siege and consistently seeing "Total size"
increasing by about 51MB and "memPool unaccounted" increasing by about
14MB after 20,000 requests from a fresh start (so, 2.6K per request and
0.7K/request respectively).  If I disable the external ACL then I see
growths of about 10MB and 1MB respectively.

Although this isn't especially consistent with the stats from a
production system that I tested yesterday, which showed about
5.5K/request (total) and 5K/request (unaccounted) over 926815 requests.

--
  - Steve