[squid-users] Centralized Squid - design and implementation

brendan kearney bpk678 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 13:11:44 UTC 2014

Yes and it seems java is even more sensitive.  I had an array member
defined on a line that was not terminated with a semicolon and browsers did
not throw errors, but java did.  Pactester did not catch this.  Missing
curly braces and I think quotes are caught.

Also of note, you have to set the content type header for a pac file or
else you run into weird issues.  I found that browsers are forgiving and
will execute the script and take its output if the header is not set.
Flash does not do this.  It might call for the script but does not use it
if the Content-Type header is not set to
"application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig".

GoToMeeting has also pissed me off.  The client parses the script and takes
any value found in it, before executing the script and taking the output of
the execution. This has the result of finding inappropriate proxies to use,
when you are in a corporate environment and have proxies dedicated to
client access or other functions that should not be leveraged in all
cases.  I got their technical team on a call because we have a large citrix
install base (both products have the same parent company) and complained to
no avail.  I had to write a doc on how to correct the client config for
anyone needing to use GoTo... products.