[squid-users] Centralized Squid - design and implementation

Jason Haar Jason_Haar at trimble.com
Tue Nov 18 06:31:26 UTC 2014

On 18/11/14 16:07, Carlos Defoe wrote:
> As for my scenario, I also use wpad to configure some exceptions, some
> clients that will use a completely different proxy, etc...
Our "wpad.dat" is actually a PHP script which tests that the "official"
proxy (per client subnet) is actually working (with caching of the
results for performance reasons of course), if not it flicks them off to
another site's proxy server. Much better than trying to do dynamic DNS
tricks with a local HAproxy. ie if you have actually lost local Internet
access due to an ISP outage, HAproxy isn't going to help. But if WPAD
knows that a WAN-connected proxy is still working - why not point your
users at that instead

We've been doing this for 10+ years, 99% of the time it's never needed,
but when it's needed, it works :-)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Corporate Information Security Manager, Trimble Navigation Ltd.
Phone: +1 408 481 8171