[squid-users] Question on setting up squid with Parent that is off-site?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sat Nov 15 08:03:25 UTC 2014

I was showing my students the process of using a squid server and building
linux kernels. Have done this in the past, but today it didn't work the same.
The squid server is setup differently, so there may be something I missed in
setting up the parent that caused the difference.

In the past, it was just a local squid server, and would cache on the same
1000M network of my classroom. 192.168.7.0 with squid server on
192.168.7.3. But had changed the configuration to use one of our ISPs proxy
server as a parent due to geographic issues. When doing updates using our
local college IP addresses, we would connect to Austrial and/or New Zealand
repos that are really slow from Guam. The one ISP has a squid server at
proxy.guam.net and allows us to use it, and it has a US based address, so it
connects to US sites which are much faster.

Normally, I would download the file on a machine locally, so it was in the
local squid servers cache, but now that it uses the ISPs server as a parent, it
didn't seem to cache the file on the local server, but only on the ISPs server.
Instead of downloading the file via the local server via 1000M connection, it
seemed to be downloading multiple copies through the 20M connection to
the ISP taking about 30 minutes with about 10 machines downloading the
70+M 3.17.3 kernel file from kernel.org?

Is there an option that would have the local squid server cache a file locally
thru the parent so other request would come from the local squid server.

Thanks.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
ROSETTA     21741707.098117   |   SETI        37660772.805449
ABC         16613838.513356   |   EINSTEIN    40346326.419899