[squid-users] Squid Log file rotation

santosh santosh.pai at vigyanlabs.com
Thu Nov 13 18:39:06 UTC 2014

Hello Team ,

I have a doubt with squid log file rotation ,my squid log file rotation is
configured this way in  /etc/logrotate.d/squid3

/var/log/squid3/*.log {
        daily
        compress
        delaycompress
        rotate 2
        missingok
        nocreate
        sharedscripts
        prerotate
                test ! -x /usr/sbin/sarg-reports || /usr/sbin/sarg-reports
        endscript
        postrotate
                test ! -e /var/run/squid3.pid || /usr/sbin/squid3 -k rotate
        endscript
}

by this i can understand that the the log is rotated daily and once the log
is rotated Old log files are renamed with numeric extensions. For example,
when a log  rotates , Squid renames log.6 to log.7, then log.5 to log.6, and
so on and it compresses too .

earlier i had logs from Oct 25 th to Oct 27th and i didnt use the server for
long and started using it from 7th november till today ie Nov 13th , i have
log files only from 7th till today where did the old log files go ? .

As per my understanding they should be archived in the squid log directory
itself rite ? . how to archive and keep the old log files ?