[squid-users] connecting directly to ssl-bump intercept port causes runaway CPU

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Wed Nov 12 20:44:17 UTC 2014

Hey Jason,

Indeed it is nasty.
I do not remember now how I advised in the past to defend against this
issue.
There is a "risk" in every system operation and this is one of them.
You indeed found this "bug" or security vulnerability!

Specially on linux the main way to handle this issue is disabling
direct access to the intercepting port.
The options on linux are basically iptables mangle table rules.
There is however the specific case that iptables do not cover and it's
the case is:(sysadmin R rated knowledge ahead)
using a remote ip with a specific address such as localhost which is
defined on the proxy.
practical example:
# nc -v 8.8.8.8 80
> GET http://localhost/ HTTP/1.1 Host: localhost
##END of example
The above example was tested in the past on too many systems and was
and still on some there.
Some will call it a bug and others will call it a feature.
I would say something similar to what I have seen in the old movie "3
ninjas":
"with power comes responsibility"

Squid has the means to defend against such vulnerability but only a
good admin will be able to use them.

All The Bests,
Eliezer

* 3 ninjas(PG) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103596/