[squid-users] Squid3 config on Ubuntu remains even after uninstall and ignore the new config

Efe merhabakendim at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 11:22:25 UTC 2014

OS: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

After i installed the squid3 package for the 1st time, i've add a list of
domains to be blocked in squid.conf:

    acl myrule dstdom_regex "/etc/squid3/domainblock.txt"
    http_access deny myrule

where domainblock.txt is

    someaddress.com
    blockthis.net

Which worked fine and redirect them to localhost running on my LAMP

    Index of /

    Name   Last modified   Size   Description

    html   2014/04/10
    ------------------------------
----------------------
    Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) Server at google-analytics.com Port 80

Later i purged it by:

    sudo apt-get remove --purge squid3*

and removed every file&folder the command "locate squid" gave, including
the "/etc/squid3" folder then reboot. But i still couldnt access the
websites in "domainblock.txt" even though it doesnt exist anymore.

Then i re-installed with sudo apt-get install squid3 this time with the
config to allow those websites in the list:

    acl myrule dstdom_regex "/etc/squid3/domainblock.txt"
    http_access allow myrule

But still no luck. I guess some configurations remain even after removing
the squid in the system. So what should i do now?

Note: The default "squid.conf" is huge to add here, but i just added these
lines above & changed nothing.