[squid-users] R: Re: TCP_DENIED/411

Riccardo Castellani ric.castellani at alice.it
Mon Nov 10 07:53:14 UTC 2014

I think the request is http/1.1 because I captured it and it shows in the
'Hypertext Transfer Protocol' in the POST section, the field 'Request version'
is HTTP/1.1
I understand Squid 2.7 is not able to understand http/1.1, but I
ask myself if 'content-length' field was missing in the http/1.1 request and
Squid was compliant to http/1.1( squid 3.x version ) , what Squid would return
'DENIED/411' again?

Castellani wrote:
>> Squid (we are using 2.7 version) checks inside http
request to
>> verify message is compliant to rfc but I ask myself if there is
way
>> to stop this check for specific site/client, al least temporarily…
exclude firewall problems too.

>Don't, just don't. Seriously.
>
>The
proxy gets screwed over:
>https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Improper_Data_Validation>
>Then the origin
server risks getting screwed over:
>https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Cross-User_Defacement>https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Improper_Data_Validation
>
>Being a POST the application itself riks getting screwed over with

>infinite-length input:
>https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Improper_Data_Validation>https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Process_Control
>https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Unsafe_Reflection>
>And then side effects can
echo right back out to the proxy to trigger
>further rounds of nastiness at
random times in the future:
>https://www.owasp.org/index.php/HTTP_Response_Splitting>https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Cross-User_Defacement
>https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Cache_Poisoning>
>
>The 411 respone is
telling you that the client sending the proxy a
>request message is broken.
Many of the above attack side effects could
>be happening in other software
already as a result of this client
>Squid caught out. It really, really needs
to be fixed ASAP.

>Now, there is a small posibility that the client is
using HTTP/1.1