[squid-users] RFC2616 headers in bumped requests

Steve Hill steve at opendium.com
Tue Nov 4 10:17:58 UTC 2014

Squid (correctly) inserts Via and X-Forwarded-For headers into requests
that it is proxying.  However, in the case of encrypted traffic, the
server and client are expecting the traffic to reach the other end
as-is, since usually this could not be intercepted.  With SSL bumped
requests this is no longer true - the proxy can (and does) modify the
traffic, by inserting these headers.

So I'm asking the question: is this behavior considered desirable, or
should we be attempting to modify the request as little as possible for
compatibility reasons?

I've just come across a web server that throws its toys out of the pram
when it sees a Via header in an HTTPS request, and unfortunately it's
quite a big one - Yahoo.  See this request:

-----
GET /news/degrees-lead-best-paid-careers-141513989.html HTTP/1.1
Host: uk.finance.yahoo.com
Via: 1.1

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently