[squid-users] Unusually High Average HTTP requests per minute

Avery_GoodMan andrew_var at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 06:35:33 UTC 2014

Hi All,

At the very outset , I would like to state that I have only recently started
administering a squid Proxy Server( < 3 months) so any omissions may pls be
condoned. The problem I am facing is this.
>From the Squid manager cache interface I see that the number of "Average
HTTP requests per minute since start" is very high, almost 15000/minute !!.
The normal load is in the region of 800-100( max 1000/minute). also if I
check the " 5 Minute Average of Counters" I see that the
"client_http.requests " also unusually high in the region of 450/sec. What
is perplexing is that in the same page the client_http.errors is also in the
region of 400/sec !! I first suspected a DoS attack and have applied some
patches to the Linux server. But there is no visible change in the above
figures reported. However In spite of all this the Mean Service time is in
the region of .5 to 1.0 secs/request and therefore the user complaints are
minimum.

Any help in this regard to isolate and rectify the problem is greatly
appreciated.

Avery