[squid-users] Skype bypass using ssl_bump peek

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Dec 12 10:25:46 UTC 2014

On 12/12/2014 10:31 p.m., Yu-Hsuan Liao wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm trying to using Squid 3.5's new feature peek-and-splice to
> bypass Skype connection I'm a little confused about ssl_bump
> steps, the wiki says that
>
> peek Receive client (step SslBump1) or server (step SslBump2)
> certificate while preserving the possibility of splicing the
> connection.
>
> My question is: does ssl_bump make decision to bump or splice
> connection when Squid gets the ServerHello message?
>
> cos I found that Skype voice connection is first

a) ssl_bump called (step 1) to decide what to do with no info but TCP
packet details available.

> 1. client send Client Hello

b) ssl_bump called again (step 2) to decide what to do with only
client and TCP details available.

> 2. server send Server Hello

c) ssl_bump called again (step 3) to decide what to do with all
client, server and TCP details available.

> then began the skype data payload transmit(non-SSL format, not the
> rest SSL handshake)
>
> so that I still got the "Error negotiating SSL connection on FD"
> message in cache.log
>
> Does peek-and-splice function cover above situation, or I just
> misunderstand the usage of ssl_bump peek?

Not if you nee dto wait for the Skype payload before deciding what to
do during the bumping process.
If the TLS hello from either end included ALPN or a useful SNI value
they might be used to determine a step during bumping. Though I dont
think Squid acts on ALPN values yet.

> my squid ver. is 3.5.0.3
>
> squid.config setting is
>
> acl skype_list dstdomain "skype_list" ssl_bump peek skype_list
> ssl_bump stare all

Only if "skype_list" matches the TCP packet IP address (without rDNS
being looked up) will the peek happen.

I think you need to add at_step ACL test to peek always at step1, then
do the other actions at step2 once SNI (domain name) is possibly
available.

Amos