[squid-users] Skype bypass using ssl_bump peek

Yu-Hsuan Liao windflower1201 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 09:31:02 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to using Squid 3.5's new feature peek-and-splice to bypass
Skype connection
I'm a little confused about ssl_bump steps,
the wiki says that

peek Receive client (step SslBump1) or server (step SslBump2)
certificate while preserving the possibility of splicing the
connection.

My question is: does ssl_bump make decision to bump or splice connection
when Squid gets the ServerHello message?

cos I found that Skype voice connection is first

1. client send Clien tHello
2. server send Server Hello

then began the skype data payload transmit(non-SSL format, not the
rest SSL handshake)

so that I still got the "Error negotiating SSL connection on FD"
message in cache.log

Does peek-and-splice function cover above situation, or I just
misunderstand the usage of ssl_bump peek?

my squid ver. is 3.5.0.3

squid.config setting is

acl skype_list dstdomain "skype_list"
ssl_bump peek skype_list