[squid-users] https issues for google

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sun Dec 7 09:34:26 UTC 2014

On 7/12/2014 9:48 p.m., glenn.groves wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have finally been able to spend time upgrading a server to a
> later squid version, I have tried 3.4.9.
>
> I could not get authentication to work for this test, but proceeded
> to test without (also dismisses auth as the problem).
>
> I am getting the following in the logs with secure sites now the
> squid is 3.4.9:
>
> 192.168.9.69 TCP_MISS/200 295 CONNECT www.google.com:443 -
> HIER_DIRECT/216.58.220.1 192.168.9.69 TCP_MISS/200 0 CONNECT
> www.google.com:443 - HIER_DIRECT/216.58.220.132
>
> Upgrading to 3.4.9 on Centos as been a pain so far, no point in
> proceeding with the problem persisting. Can someone advise why I am
> getting TCP_MISS/200 when going to secure google sites?

"200" because the tunnel was setup successfully.

"TCP_MISS" because a connection being opened does not use an existing
cache object. Old Squid versions do not use the TCP_TUNNEL label.

The above appear to be successful tunnels setup through the proxy.

> Or more importantly, how to fix my squid 3.1 on centos 6.5 with
> this problem.

What browser(s) are showing the problem? and what does a tcpdump trace
of the packets content show happening?

A) It could be they are trying to use SPDY or HTTP/2 inside the
tunnel. CONNECT technically could be followed immediately with traffic
bytes even though the tunnel/Upgrade process was not confirmed
successful by the proxy. Squid does not support that behaviour until
version 3.4.5 (bug 3371) but browsers using SPDY and HTTP/2 rely on it.

You may be able to backport the bug fix
(http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.4/changesets/squid-3.4-13126.patch),
but this is one unlikely to be easy across so many versions. There
have been numerous tunneling code updates in between.

B) It could be happy-eyeballs algorithm being used by the browser.
Settign up a connection in advance and having it timeout in the proxy
before an attempt to actually use it is made. Although Squid should
append _TIMEOUT to the MISS tag in those cases its not certain if that
happens on tunnels.

Amos