[squid-users] Memory Leak Squid 3.4.9 on FreeBSD 10.0 x64

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon Dec 1 08:42:57 UTC 2014

On 26/11/2014 8:59 a.m., Doug Sampson wrote:

> Thanks, Amos, for your pointers.
>
> I've commented out all the fresh_patterns lines appearing above
> the last two lines.
>
> I also have dropped diskd in favor of using aufs exclusively,
> taking out the min-size parameter. I've commented out the
> diskd_program support option. In the previous version of squid
> (2.7) I had split the cache_dir into two types with great success
> using coss and aufs. Previously I had only aufs and performance
> wasn't where I wanted it. Apparently coss is no longer supported in
> the 3.x version of squid atop FreeBSD.

COSS has been replaced with Rock storage type in Squid-3. They should
be used in roughly similar ways in terms of traffic optimization.

> The pathname for the cache swap logs have been fixed. Apparently
> this came from a squid.conf example that I copied in parts. Would
> this be the reason why we are seeing the error messages in
> /var/log/messages regarding swapping mentioned in my original
> post?

No. I think that is coming out of the OS kernel memory management. It
uses the term "swap" as well in regards to disk backed virtual memory.

If your system is "swapping" (using that disk backed "swap memory")
while running Squid then you will get terrible performance as a matter
of course since the Squid cache index and cache_meme is often very
large in RAM and accessed often.

> The hierarchy_stoplist line has been stripped out as you say it is
> deprecated.
>
> The mem .TSV file is attached herewith.
>
> Currently I have the cache_dir located on the OS disk and all of
> the cache logging files on a second drive. Is this the optimal
> setup of cache-dir and logs?

I would do it the other way around. Logs are appended with a small
amount of data each transaction, whereas the main cache_dir has a
relativey large % of the bandwidth throughput being written out to it
constantly (less % in recent Squid, but still a lot). The dik most
likely to die early is the one holding cache_dir.

Amos