[squid-dev] Drop cache_object protocol support

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Jan 25 04:34:45 UTC 2023

On 1/24/23 20:57, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> Blocker #1:  The cachemgr_passwd directly still needs to be cleanly
> removed, eg replaced by a manager_access ACL based mechanism.

I do not see a relationship: I have not tested it, but the existing
CacheManager::ParseHeaders() code already extracts authentication
information from cache manager requests that use "http" scheme AFAICT.
Can you detail why the cachemgr_passwd directive/code cannot continue to
work essentially as it works today after cache_object scheme support is
removed from Squid?

> Blocker #2: The squidclient tool still sends cache_object: scheme when
> given "mgr:" on the CLI. We need to upgrade that first

Looks like we are in agreement on that.

> and allow admin
> some time to upgrade before removing the scheme support in squid itself.

Agreed. Would six months be enough in your opinion? If yes, we may be
able to remove cache_object support in v6. Otherwise, we can remove
cache_object support starting with v7 (as far as numbered releases are
concerned).

> cachemgr.cgi should already prefer http(s) and only use cache_object
> as a backup.

> IMO the CGI tool should stay that way, supporting the scheme for older
> installations even after we drop it from the rest of Squid.

IMO, we should not keep any code that is only needed for Squid v3.1 and
earlier. Squid v3.2 and later should http-based cache manager access,
right? More code always means more maintenance overheads and higher
change costs. Given our lack of resources, we should start ignoring
Squid v3 needs.

Moreover, I do not see how we can keep that "backup" code while
supporting newer Squids and Javascript-disabled browsers at the same
time: AFAICT, when Javascript is disabled (or not working properly),
that "only as a backup" code will send cache_object requests to modern
Squids that will no longer support them...

I think we should upgrade that cachemgr.cgi code rather than preserve it
for Squid v3 needs. However, if you insist, it will stay simply because
I do not think cachemgr.cgi is worth our time.

Cheers,