[squid-dev] CVE-2019-12522

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Mar 3 07:17:17 UTC 2022

On 2/03/22 05:35, Adam Majer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There apparently was a CVE assigned some time ago but I cannot seem to
> find it being addressed.
>
> https://gitlab.com/jeriko.one/security/-/blob/master/squid/CVEs/CVE-2019-12522.txt
>

> The crux of the problem is that privileges are not dropped and could be
> re-acquired. There is even a warning against running squid as root but
> if root is one function call away, it seems it's the same.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

To quote myself:

"
We do not have an ETA on this issue. Risk is relatively low and several
features of Squid require the capability this allows in order to
reconfigure. So we will not be implementing the quick fix of fully
dropping root.
"

If anyone wants to work on it you can seek out any/all calls to
enter_suid and see if they can be removed yet. Some may be able to go
immediately, and some may need replacing with modern libcap capabilities.

HTH