[squid-dev] RFC submodule repositories

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Sun Jul 31 15:09:42 UTC 2022

On 7/31/22 00:29, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> When PR #937 merges we will have the ability to shuffle old helpers into
> a separate repository that users can import as a submodule to build with
> their Squid as-needed.

In my experience, git submodules are a powerful feature that is rather
difficult to use correctly. Some of submodule aspects do not feel
"natural" to many humans. I am pretty sure that proper introduction of
submodules will require a lot of our time and nerve cells. What will we
optimize by introducing such a significant complication as git submodules?

> What (if any) updates do we need to make to Anubis and other
> infrastructure so support git submodules ?

That answer probably depends, in part, on what support guarantees we are
going to issue for those submodules and on what our submodule update
policy will be. Integrating two or more git repositories together is a
complicated issue...