[squid-dev] RFC: protocols in Squid

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sun Jan 30 11:56:15 UTC 2022

Attached is first draft of a map for the transactions possible by
protocols supported (and "should be") by Squid.

In this diagram transactions are split into three types:

  1) switching - Protocol A ending initiates Protocol B.

  2) nested - Protocol B carries Protocol C in its message payload.

  3) fetch - Protocol B initiates Protocol D to fetch some data used by
Protocol B.

Note: to simplify the number of arrows surrounding "HTTP" I have split
out the CONNECT tunnel as a separate thing.

Am posting this as RFC to see of anyone has additions of transactions I
missed. Or suggestions on how better to document it.

Next step is to write up which object(s) or function implements each of
these in Squid.