[squid-dev] request for change handling hostStrictVerify

Steve Hill steve at opendium.com
Thu Oct 28 16:17:04 UTC 2021

On 26/10/2021 22:46, kk at sudo-i.net wrote:

> - Squid enforces the Client to use SNI! (currently, this is not done and
> can be considered as a security issue, because you can bypass any
> hostname rules)

I don't think you can get away with requiring SNI everywhere.  There is
still software in the wild which doesn't present an SNI.

Worse: there is software in the wild that presents an SNI that doesn't
have a matching DNS record!  (I'm looking at you Apple).

However, you can probably change to an improved behaviour if there is an
SNI which resolves and matches the URI and Host: header, whilst still
supporting broken clients.

--
- Steve Hill
    Technical Director | Cyfarwyddwr Technegol

    Enquiries | Ymholiadau:   sales at opendium.com     +44-1792-824568
    Support   | Cefnogi:      support at opendium.com   +44-1792-825748

Opendium Limited is a company registered in England and Wales.
Mae Opendium Limited yn gwmni sydd wedi'i gofrestru yn Lloegr a Chymru.

Company No. | Rhif Cwmni:   5465437
Highfield House, 1 Brue Close, Bruton, Somerset, BA10 0HY, England.