[squid-dev] What os/cpu platforms do we want to target as a project?

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Mon Dec 27 20:11:42 UTC 2021

On 12/26/21 8:36 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 27/12/21 10:11, Alex Rousskov wrote:

>>> How about instead something along the lines of:
>>> 1. announce on squid-users about intent to remove support for a platform
>>> 2. wait for objections for 15 days
>>> 3. PR following standard merge procedure

>> My proposal is trying to solve the specific problem that recent PRs
>> (attempting to remove some code) have faced: The reviewer asked _why_ we
>> are removing code, and the author closed the PR instead of developing
>> consensus regarding the correct answer to that question[1]. My proposal
>> establishes a special track for code removal PRs so that they do not
>> have to answer the (otherwise standard) "why" question.

> [1] is about removal of a trivial piece of code that has no harm leaving
> in place.
>
> As I stated in followup what I regard as reasonable justification *was*
> given up front. If that was not enough for agreement to merge it was not
> worth the jumping through hoops in the first place. Let alone creating a
> whole new bureaucratic policy and management process.
>
> As I said in other discussions, we already have a deprecation+removal
> process that works fine and matches the industry standard practices when
> a code change is even suspected to matter to anyone at all. That process
> gives far more than just 30 days to inform any interested community
> members and does not limit the notification channels.
>
> If anyone picks up the code removal in [1] again they should follow that
> process

I do not think they should. IMO, that (poorly working)
deprecation+removal process should not be used for explicit OSF/1
support removal (among other things). They should use the regular PR
review process (if we do not come up with something better by then).

> since that code is now obviously of some importance to reviewer Alex.

FWIW, I still[2] support removal of explicit OSF/1 support. The reason
we had this discussion is not some special importance of that explicit
OSF/1 support code. The goal is to lower the overhead of future PRs
similar to the one you closed _because_ that overhead was too high.

Hope this clarifies,

Alex.

[1] https://github.com/squid-cache/squid/pull/942#issuecomment-986208860
[2] https://github.com/squid-cache/squid/pull/942#issuecomment-986055422