[squid-dev] What os/cpu platforms do we want to target as a project?

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Sun Dec 26 21:11:34 UTC 2021

On 12/26/21 10:30 AM, Francesco Chemolli wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 5, 2021 at 10:05 PM Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> If we manage to and agree on what platforms to "support" and on removing
>> code dedicated to unsupported platforms, great! If we fail, I would like
>> to propose an alternative scheme for the removal of platform-specific
>> (or any other) code from the official master branch:
>>
>> A PR dedicated to code removal can be merged if it satisfies the
>> following criteria:
>>
>> 1. Two positive votes from core developers.
>> 2. No negative votes.
>> 3. Voting lasted for 30+ calendar days.
>> 4. The removal PR is announced in a PR-dedicated squid-users post.
>>    This announcement resets the 30+ day timer.

> How about instead something along the lines of:
> 1. announce on squid-users about intent to remove support for a platform
> 2. wait for objections for 15 days
> 3. PR following standard merge procedure

My proposal is trying to solve the specific problem that recent PRs
(attempting to remove some code) have faced: The reviewer asked _why_ we
are removing code, and the author closed the PR instead of developing
consensus regarding the correct answer to that question[1]. My proposal
establishes a special track for code removal PRs so that they do not
have to answer the (otherwise standard) "why" question.

Your proposal changes nothing as far as that problem is concerned. Thus,
unless that past experience has altered our understanding of the
problem, we are likely to face the same problem again!

Needless to say, getting squid-users feedback is nice -- both proposals
share that feature. However, even an enthusiastic squid-users support
for X removal cannot replace the answer to the "why" question. This is
why I am proposing to change the rules to remove that question for some PRs.

Hope this clarifies,

Alex.

[1] https://github.com/squid-cache/squid/pull/942#issuecomment-986208860