[squid-dev] Coding Style updates

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Aug 12 04:42:25 UTC 2021

Hi all,

  Now that we have astyle 3.1 for style enforcement we can take
advantage of it to perform a few code style change that older versions
could not.

Before I do any work testing they work I'd like to review the relevant
details of our style guidelines and see if we actually want to keep that
requirement.

1) return type on separate line from function definition.

Current style requirement:

   template<...>
   void
   foo(...)
   {
   }

AFAIK, this based on GNU project style preferences from the far past
when Squid had a tight relationship with GNU. Today we have a conflict
between Factory code coming in with the alternative same-line style
and/or various developers being confused by the mix of code they are
touching.

IMO; it is easier to work with the one-line style when command-line
editing, and irrelevant when using more advanced tools.

As such I propose converting Squid to the same-line style:

   template<...>
   void foo(...)
   {
   }

Opinions?

Any reasons I missed for keeping this?

2) braces on one-liner conditional blocks

Current code style is a bit confused. We have it as a style to use, with
exceptions for some old macros etc where the lack of braces causes
compile issues or bugs.

Personally I prefer the non-braced style. But it seems far safer to
automate the always-brace style and not have those special exceptions.

Opinions?