[squid-dev] Proposed focus for Squid-6

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Jun 30 22:59:13 UTC 2020

I have been asked a few weeks ago about what the "goal for Squid-6" is
going to be.

The last few version we have focused on C++11 optimizations and code
upgrades. While the code is not entirely C++11 (and may never be) new
additions are routinely using and upgrading code to the improved
language features.

NP: this is no way affects the policies of handling things as they come
and release when its ready. It just gives people some rough direction to
consider when struggling with selecting of new work to start.

I am thinking it is time for a slight change to at least add another
goal. They way held-back changes are going so far I am thinking we
should aim at code pruning this next release series. For that to be a
goal we need to start preparing for it and the user announcements early
(ie now) rather than in retrospective.

This would cover:

0) the ongoing project to clarify OS support and testing. Formally
removing some.

1) remove features that have been deprecated since Squid-3 days.
  - WAIS support
  - Replace ICP with HTCP

2) proposing some next features to be removed ASAP, possibly removing
them this release.
 - send-announce removal
 - SMB_LM helper removal

3) drop (all?) bitrotten code

4) statistic addition to measure feature use. To improve admin ability
to answer our "are you using this feature" requests.

Thoughts anyone?