[squid-dev] PVS Studio

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Jan 15 15:10:41 UTC 2019

On 1/15/19 5:03 AM, Francesco Chemolli wrote:

>> On Jan 14, 2019, at 19:11, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> On 1/14/19 3:20 PM, Francesco Chemolli wrote:
>>>  the team behind PVS studio (static code analysis tool) has decided
>>> to support FOSS projects for free (beer).
>>>  https://hownot2code.com/2019/01/14/free-pvs-studio-for-those-who-develops-open-source-projects/
>>>  Unless there are any concerns, I'll look into integrating our build
>>> pipelines with that service in addition to Coverity.

>> Coverity has not been integrated into our automated testing of pull
>> requests. I assume you want to look into similar-to-Coverity integration
>> for PVS studio, and I would welcome that kind of integration if your
>> initial tests are positive.

> Coverity cannot be fully integrated in the pull request workflow

We have discussed that already. As you know, I disagree that Coverity
restrictions on the number of scans preclude integration of their
service into our pull request tests. Please do not misinterpret my
statement as a veiled push for that integration! I just do not want a
false premise to guide our future decisions.

> I’ve rechecked PVS studio; their ask for FOSS projects is that a
> comment be added to every single file acknowledging their support,

FYI: The following PVS post contradicts your assertion. It sounds like
what you are referring two is a different (old) licensing scheme and
they now have a new one (in addition to the old one):

https://www.viva64.com/en/b/0600/