[squid-dev] 206 Partial Content Caching

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Fri Sep 14 14:31:38 UTC 2018

On 09/14/2018 02:07 AM, Benson Kwok wrote:

> I agree adding additional functionality to merge smaller range objects
> into larger ones is a better approach.

Please note that I have not requested that (or any other) optional
functionality. There is nothing wrong per se with providing partial
support for a complex feature (e.g., caching of single-range responses
without merging). Whether such a partial implementation can be useful
_and_ HTTP-compliant while remaining much simpler than, say, a
multi-range caching implementation (without merging) is an open question.

> Now I know my solution is good for a limited use case
> (repeating requests with similar ranges)

... where URL-based cache purges never happen. It is difficult to
imagine a real-world environment where URL-based purging never occurs,
but perhaps your Squids do operate in such a unique environment.

> I think it will be better not to merge it into the main branch.

This is your call. We are happy to help if you want to work on making
your code suitable for the official adoption.

Cheers,