[squid-dev] 206 Partial Content Caching

Benson Kwok bkwok at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 08:07:04 UTC 2018

 Hi Alex,
I agree adding additional functionality to merge smaller range objects into larger ones is a better approach. However, it requires an additional module and file structure to bookkeep cached ranges of each URL and a way to rebuild the bookkeeping index after a restart.  I am not sure if the additional effort will worth it since squid already supports partial content from cache if the full file is loaded in cache.
Thanks for pointing out that some use cases may not work with my implementation. Now I know my solution is good for a limited use case (repeating requests with similar ranges) but not at a global scale. In that case, I think it will be better not to merge it into the main branch.

Thank your very much for your detailed explanation.
Benson