[squid-dev] Percent-encoded URLs

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Sun Mar 11 16:11:04 UTC 2018

On 03/10/2018 11:51 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 11/03/18 11:36, Eduard Bagdasaryan wrote:
>> * are there any percent-encoding requirements for proxies?

> AFAIK there are none specific to proxies. The client and server
> requirements should be used on the relevant received or sent URLs.

Good point! The "server" part of Squid is probably violating (if not the
letter then the spirit of) URL handling requirements when it comes to
cache lookups.

> FYI: When attempting to do that I was overridden by the QA requirement
> that URLs "must not be changed" by Squid. The natural side effect is the
> caching problem you describe, along with a DoS vulnerability which
> apparently nobody in the "real world" cares about.

The FYI part is very misleading: It is possible to handle URLs correctly
(without caching problems and DoS vulnerabilities) while preserving URLs
(in general cases). It is not easy, but it is certainly doable. Also,
URL preservation is not driven by QA. Some might argue that it is
necessary for real-world compatibility; it is essentially a design
choice, not a QA requirement.