[squid-dev] Percent-encoded URLs

Eduard Bagdasaryan eduard.bagdasaryan at measurement-factory.com
Sat Mar 10 22:36:32 UTC 2018

Hi Squid developers,

I need your competent help with the following issue.

While working on some public key generation issues I noticed that Squid
does not decode percent-encoded URLs (at least before creating public
keys). While trying to understand whether it is correct, I
searched RFC7230 family for proxy-related MUST requirements but
unfortunately did not find them. Another RFC3986 p. 6.2.2.2. describes
'percent-encoding normalization' of unreserved characters, but this is
not a 'MUST' requirement. So, at first glance, Squid does not violate
RFCs in this case. However, the fact that two equivalent URLs (with and
w/o percent encoding) are treated differently may cause some
confusion: for example, a 'DELETE' for such equivalent URL would fail.

So my questions are:

* are there any percent-encoding requirements for proxies?

* does Squid violate them?

Thank you,
Eduard.