[squid-dev] Need help to understand Squid

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Sep 12 05:05:15 UTC 2017

On 12/09/17 06:03, Vineet Awasthi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to understand the Squid source code in depth. so i can contribute
> in it. Could anyone help me about the UTC's that will help me about the
> same.

Greetings and welcome aboard,

I am not sure what you mean by "UTC", that acronym has a dozen or so
meanings just in software design and QA. I doubt you mean UTC timezone
which is the most common use related to networking software like Squid.

Our developer information can be found through the official Squid wiki
page <http://wiki.squid-cache.org/DeveloperResources>.

The "Contributing code" section links to most of what we have in the way
of resources and what each is about. The rest of it is reading the code,
archaeology in the repo and archives, and fishing through our collective
brains on this mailing list.

You have probably noticed that Squid codebase is quite large and has a
mix of code languages in many styles of relative 'bad'. None of us
understand all of it in depth and there is a fairly large amount of code
churn involved with cleaning last centuries problems up. So please do
not set any high hopes in regards to in-depth understanding more than a
few sections in the current state of it all.

Part of the ongoing work is to make Squid more modular to reduce the
knowledge needed to work on things. An indication of what sort of
direction you hope to work towards would be is most useful at this early
stage.  So is there anything a little more specific you are interested
in finding out today / first?

HTH