[squid-dev] To make squid works in snap world.

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Mar 15 18:49:18 UTC 2017

On 03/15/2017 11:03 AM, Gary Wang wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 12:33 AM, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>>     On 03/15/2017 03:24 AM, Gary Wang wrote:
>>     > Regarding the confinement of usage of shared memory in snap world,
>>     >        Please take a look at the bug
>>     >        https://bugs.launchpad.net/snappy/+bug/1653955

>>     The above bug description appears to imply that snap allows
>>     /dev/shm/snap.@{SNAP_NAME}.* names, which are not the names used in your
>>     prior examples (IIRC). The sem.* pattern you used confused reviewers
>>     into thinking that you are trying to solve the wrong problem. The actual
>>     problem you are trying to solve (AFAICT) is valid and is not about the
>>     "sem." prefix but about the "snap." prefix.

>     A: Yes, We finally see it the same way.

IIRC, until now, there was no disagreement among you and me regarding
this aspect of your submission. You need to convince Amos that you are
solving the right problem.

>        In snap world, only the following name pattern is allowed
>             /dev/shm/sem.snap.@{SNAP_NAME}.*
>        not
>             /dev/shm/snap.@{SNAP_NAME}.*

That statement appears to contradict bug/1653955 description and, if
true, sounds like a snap bug, but, fortunately, it has no significant
effect on the proposed argument sketch. Here is a revised version:

1. Snap does not allow arbitrary names in /dev/shm/.
2. Snap allows names matching /dev/shm/<SpecialPatternHere>.*
3. I need to make Squid names for /dev/shm/ files configurable
   so that they can be forced to match the snap-allowed pattern.

Alex.
P.S. If there is something you can do to your email application to fix
quoting in the plain text version of the messages it sends, please do so.