[squid-dev] SMP scaling in no_daemon mode?

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Fri Jun 9 14:08:08 UTC 2017

On 06/09/2017 07:23 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Since 3.5 is in stable it is quite limited in the types of
> things I'm accepting ports for. Changing the -N behaviour is not one of
> those due to the fragile net of things people have depending on it.

I do not think we should be changing -N behavior. We should be fixing
--foreground. Whether you accept that fix into v3.5 is up to you IMO:
There are certainly reasonable arguments for and against that
acceptance. If you do not accept it, I think Squid v3.5 should log some
kind of "this feature is broken" warning when the option is used.

My recommendation is to accept v3.5 fix iff it is small and low-risk.

> In fact I am rather hoping to remove -N when the --foreground works
> and people move to that.

If we remove -N, there will be no way to disable SMP without changing
squid.conf. That fact does not necessarily mean that -N should stay, but
we should keep it in mind. It may be a good idea to replace -N with
something like --config-extra "workers=0" which would introduce a
powerful general replacement for the removed feature.

Cheers,