[squid-dev] [RFC] Disable Github issue tracker

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Fri Jul 21 15:08:00 UTC 2017

On 07/21/2017 12:29 AM, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:

> Then if nobody is sending these issues or using then, I believe that
> leaving this section should stay open as a "Chat" and "Connection
> initiation" channel for a month or so.

FWIW, I fail to see a logical connection from "nobody was using X for a
year" to "let's leave X available for another month".

Github Issues are not meant for "chatting" or "project connection
initiation". "Nobody" is using them that way across Github. We can try
to force people to use our Issues in our special, novel way, but that
seems like a doomed strategy for a project that does not receive much
attention.

If we leave Github Issues open, would you volunteer to tell everybody
who "misuse" Issues for bug reports and feature requests to re-file
their issues with Bugzilla, explaining why they need to spend an extra
20 minutes of their time (after they already did a perfectly reasonable
and honorable thing -- filing a well-written bug report in Github Issues)?

> Please take your time to add a README.md to the github repo

I agree that this should be done.

> so anyone
> that will land into the github repository will be aware that the
> project is moving\moved from bzr to github

IMO, that historical fact is rather useless for somebody who is already
on Github, already looking at a live git repository. README.md should
only contain (references to) critically important Squid-specific
information IMO.

Cheers,

Alex.