[squid-dev] [RFC] Disable Github issue tracker

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Thu Jul 20 20:48:15 UTC 2017

Well, what I was thinking is that issues in github cab mainly be related to coding and development like what the squid-dev list is.
I understand that technically the Bugzilla and the issues section are not different too much, but, we can logically set a rule that issues would be in the Squid-Cache project for development related conversations only.

I believe that the much younger programmers are already registered to github so it would make sense to use the github issues for these.
I mean: If I(a programmer) already have an account at github, why should I open a new account just to start interacting with the Squid-Cache project?
So disabling it completely is good for certain purposes but if the project would have a nice README.md with couple guide lines such as:
- To report security vulnerabilities use XYZ
- To make first contact with the development team use the issues section.
- ....

Once we decide on the right approach I believe we can start and see what pop in the "issues net", maybe it's worth leaving it open just for the sake of "solicitation".
(Solicitation these days reminds me of a bug in Golang which prints
"Unsolicited response received on idle HTTP channel..."
https://github.com/golang/go/issues/12855
One of their biggest bugs I have seen that were not handled for a very long time and is relevant specifically to http proxies which uses the native http libs )

What do you think about the idea of leaving the issues section open? Or maybe we are not looking for such audience?

Eliezer

----
Eliezer Croitoru
Linux System Administrator