[squid-dev] [RFC] Disable Github issue tracker

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Jul 19 12:31:15 UTC 2017

On 19/07/17 16:41, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> On 07/18/2017 09:26 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> On 19/07/17 09:22, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>>>       With Squid official repository now at Github, a lot more folks will
>>> be tempted to report bugs and file feature requests there. I propose to
>>> remove that functionality from the Github interface (for now). Any
>>> objections or better ideas?
>

>> Sounds good to me.
>
>> I suspect the issues from Nov/Dec last year have duplicate discussions
>> either in squid-users or bugzilla - but that would be worth checking up
>> with the submitters before the github issues are lost.
>
> Done. There are two open DevOps issues remaining. I will disable the
> interface once those issues are closed. I will try to export/archive the
> closed issues before disabling the interface.
>

>> There are maintainer workflow scripts still todo, but before going to
>> the trouble I'm considering whether that workflow still makes any sense
>> - it was designed for CVS, and adapted to bzr in absence of good bzr
>> tooling. If anyone knows of some good branch management tools for git
>> I'm interested.
>
> I wish I could help, but I do not really know what the old tools did,
> and do not have enough git expertise to advice on such general topics as
> "good branch management tools for git". If nobody answers here, consider
> enumerating the primary needs in general terms. Such a list would make
> it easier to solicit external advice.

Hmm. Well I was hoping "branch management" might bring up things I'm not
aware of myself. Oh well.

The tools I have right now are a bunch of scripts that maintain a
todo-list for each release series, a per-release patch list, and running
statistics about the quantities of code change.
  * For each revision/patch in any branch I can mark it as a feature and
group other revisions/patches as delayed fixes to the primary commit.
  * For each revision/patch I can see whether it has been cherrypicked
into an older series (and to what revision in that destination branch),
and if it is a backport the revision/patch ID in the branch where it
originated.

> Thank you,
>
> Alex.
> P.S. Congratulations on the first PR merge via Github!

LOL. Burden of the maintainership role :-P administrative fixes updating
various things after major milestones.