[squid-dev] Compiling from repository checkout

Kinkie gkinkie at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 15:00:36 UTC 2017

Hi Mika,
  sorry for the delayed answer.

> Thanks, got it. One more question. Do you know why bootstrap.sh verifies
> that glibtool is installed in OS X. Cause I tried this
>
> brew install libtool
> ./bootstrap.sh
> brew uninstall libtool
> ./configure && make
>
> And squid builds (and runs) just fine. But If I do
>
> brew uninstall libtool
> ./bootstrap.sh
>
> Then bootstrapping fails saying glibtool is not installed.

What MacOS calls 'libtool' is an entirely different beast than GNU
libtool. Just try 'man libtool' to see what I mean.
So unless you have glibtool installed, well, it is't.

> The reason I am asking is that if I don’t uninstall glibtool, the final
> binary will have dependency to dynamic glibtool lib.  The glibtool is
> installed to Homebrew default path (/usr/local/..) and doesn’t necessarily
> exists in other OS X installations. So if I want to give the binary I build
> to my coworker it may not work in his machine unless he installs glibtool
> first through homebrew.

If you want to have a fully portable binary I suspect that the only
solution is to link it statically, sorry.
And yes, that's unavoidable, sadly: libtool is a required component to
build squid.

--
    Francesco